Listening to good music can be the ideal motivator when you need an extra boost or that push to keep going. It helps us in most situations to de-stress, unwind and re-group. So, it’s no surprise that listening to good tunes can kick start a great fitness workout or boost it to the next level.
Sure, some people enjoy listening to birds chirping as they run, or they get energised by the sound of weights hitting the floor at gym. Nothing wrong with that. But for the rest of us, music can make or break a workout. For example, playing a slow, low beat tune is not going to jumpstart your motivation to do hill sprints. That is why a good workout playlist is a necessity.
There is no one-size-fits-all playlist when it comes to getting the best workout results. It depends on your own music preferences, your goals, the mood you are in and state of mind at the time. Are you bursting with energy or are you in need of a kick up the butt to get motivated? Seeing results during your health and fitness journey is all about being consistent and establishing a routine that you stick to as much as possible. Planning your playlist can certainly work in your favour here.
When it comes to choosing the best playlist for your workout, consider the following:
1.Your Heart Rate
Depending on the type of workout you do, you’ll want to choose songs that contain a higher BPM (beats per minute). In general, anything over 120 BPM can help you get into the zone but for high intensity workouts find something in the 145 BPM zone.
2. Choosing lyrics that make you feel Strong
Choose songs that are positive and have inspirational lyrics that focus on courage and being fearless. Listening to catchy and empowering songs can help keep you in a positive mindset.
3. Choose Energetic Songs
By choosing songs that have a high BPM and are also energetic and upbeat, this will help improve your mood and encourage you to keep pushing yourself.
We did the dirty work for you and found some of the ‘best’ fitness workout playlists and tunes.
- Autumn’s Cardio Crush. This is an upbeat, positive vibes playlist full of inspiring pop anthems that will keep you going strong to the end.
- Sagi Kalev’s Weightlifting Playlist. This ‘beast’ workout is packed with a mix of throwback rap, wrestling theme songs and motivational tracks. No chance of a wimpy workout here.
- Joel Freeman’s Hardcore Motivational Playlist. This is a great playlist for the heavy metal fans who are in search of a pick-me-up and an energy boost.
- Running Workout Playlist. These tracks help make the time fly by while you are running the distance. With a bit of everything, it helps break up the monotony of a long run.
- Jericho McMatthew’s Pumped-Up Workout Playlist. Includes a mix of dance tracks.
- Tony Horton’s Cardio Mix. A feature of alt-rock anthems from bands like Imagine Dragons, Awolnation and the Decemberists.
It’s a good idea to keep changing up your playlist to keep things interesting and keep you working at your hardest. There is no longer an excuse to skip a workout because you wake up and don’t feel like it. Not when you have the tool of motivational music at your fingertips!